Friday, April 1, 2011

Food Storage Friday: Pancakes 2.0

Well, we've had an interesting week. This is what has been going on around here:



Isaac and I had a lot of fun watching the men with the various types of saws hacking away at our trees. Hopefully we will have a lot fewer apricots and apples than last year, but at the same time a lot better. :)

I did manage to tear our eyes away from the window for a little while this morning in order to try again on the whole wheat pancakes. I really wanted to figure out what went wrong last time - and guess what? I totally figured it out. I was trying to modify the food storage recipe to a fresh foods recipe (I don't have any powdered eggs, yet) and I totally misunderestimated (yep, I said it) the amount of eggs I would need. For some reason I thought 3 tablespoons of powdered egg would be just one fresh egg. Wrong.



Anyway, this time I decided to, um, turn the page in the book until I found the recipe that says "fresh buttermilk and fresh eggs" - imagine that? There's a recipe right in the book that I didn't have to modify. I'm such a dork. So this time around the pancakes went much better.



Even Isaac enjoyed them, though he is not a big pancake fan yet. I know he will be, once he gets over his weird aversion to bread. He's already coming around, it just comes in fits and starts. The other day he ate a hamburger bun, so I have hope. :P Someday he'll actually eat a sandwich and I'll be able to stop feeding him ramen noodles for lunch.

Anyway, enough chat from me. This recipe has been made public, so I get to share it!

Whole Wheat Pancakes

3 cups water

Resealable Bag:
3 1/2 cups wheat flour
1 cup powdered milk
3 tbsp powdered eggs
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp sugar (optional)

Pantry item:
3 tbsp oil

In a large bowl, mix everything together. Cook on a hot oiled griddle. Turn when bubbles appear and edges are golden brown.

Buttermilk Syrup
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

In a large* pot, combine all ingredients, except vanilla. Bring to a boil and boil for 7 minutes. Add vanilla and serve.

* If you make this, just know the syrup grows! It gets really frothy and doubles or triples in size. I don't know, it just got big. So don't do what I did and think, hey, there's not a ton of liquid in this recipe so my small pot should be fine. I had to transfer to a bigger pot when it started boiling over like crazy - two dirty pots, a messy stove, and a lesson learned. Take it from me. Go with the big pot.

Anyway, here's your recipe card for the pancakes. Enjoy!
Note: The recipe is taken from It's in the Bag by Michelle and Trent Snow, published by Cedar Fort Inc.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

So where would I get powdered eggs and milk? Would they just be in a grocery store?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...