Friday, March 25, 2011

Food Storage Friday: Carribean Chicken over Rice

Hi friends,
I talked to Michelle about sharing recipes from her book, and here's the conclusion: I really respect this woman and all she has done and is doing, so I won't be sharing any of the copyrighted recipes, even with "tweaks". I will continue sharing my own recipes, and I'll probably share reviews of the recipes we've tried from the book from time to time (unless you'd consider that a tease?).

But the good news is that I do have permission to share her recipes that she has already made public in one form or another. :) So, today I'll be sharing the Carribean Chicken over Rice recipe.



This is one of the recipes we tried at the demo, and it's one of the reasons why I bought the book. So delicious and so incredibly easy. The recipe is posted below, and I made a recipe card for you to print and slip into your cd sleeve. See how easy I'm making your lives? =P

Carribean Chicken over Rice

5 cups water

Resealable bag:
2 cups rice

Resealable bag:
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp dried celery
1/4 cup dried bell peppers
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp curry powder
1 Tbsp chives
2 Tbsp dried onion
2 chicken bouillon cubes

1 can black-eyed peas, drained
1 (13 oz) can chicken meat and broth, or 1 pint home-canned chicken breast

To cook rice: in a heavy-bottomed saucepan with a tight fitting lid, place 3 cups water and add 2 cups rice. Boil on high heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes, then fluff. Do not lift the lid while rice is resting. If you have a rice cooker, just add water and rice and depress the lever. Fluff rice when lever pops up.

In a medium saucepan, add spice packet to remaining water and cook over medium heat until peppers and celery are tender, about 10 minutes. Add black-eyed peas and chicken meat and heat thoroughly. To serve, pour black-eyed pea mixture over rice.

And here's your (admittedly not very beautiful) recipe card. Just click on the image below to access the full-size version, and print.

Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...